Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Homemade Nut Butter


Happy Tuesday!!

I hope everyone had a great holiday and was able to indulge in some delicious foods and spend some quality time with the family. I thought today I would share with you a recipe; it is actually one of the easiest recipes I have ever encountered!  Peanut butter is one of my absolute favourite foods!!  When I was a child peanut butter sandwiches were the only sandwiches you could get me to touch.  Now that I am older though I enjoy almost any nut butter out there, from almond, cashew, sunflower seed, pecan, pumpkin seed, and hazelnut.  So today I am going to tell you all How to Make Your Own Nut Butter!

You will need a blender or food processor, I used my magic bullet blender, but a food processor works just as well, a spatula or spoon, an air tight container or jar, and your nut of choice. I used unsalted roasted almonds.  They were roasted, which enhances the flavour, but you can use raw nuts too.  You can also roast the nuts in the oven if you buy raw.

Homemade Nut Butter

Blender/food processor
Spatula/Spoon
Nut of Choice
Airtight container
  1. For roasted raw nuts, put them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. 
  2.  Then blend the nuts in the blender (1 cup of nuts approximately makes ½ cup of nut butter.) The nuts turn into fine ground nuts and then turn into a paste. 
  3. As you blend you need to scrape the edges to ensure it is fully getting mixed.  
  4. Blend for 10-15 minutes, depending on if you like a crunchy and thick butter or a thin and smooth butter. The longer it blends the smoother it gets.
  5. Store it an airtight container in the fridge and it will last for a few weeks. 

Nuts are great healthy snack to eat; they are full of protein and packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, such as vitamin E and selenium. They can be a great alternative for meat and 1 serving of nut butters is 2 tbsp. You can use it on pretty much any food even fruit and veggies and even use for sauces.

Who doesn't love a recipe that only takes about 15 minutes and is one ingredient!  Nuts have natural oils in them, so you do not need to add in oil to the recipe.  I know personally I like to know what is in my food, so by being able to make it homemade you don't have any extra preservatives, salt, sugar, or hydrogenated oils in your nut butter

One other great benefit of making homemade nut butter is it can be more cost efficient.  Buying store bought nut butter can cost $ 6 to 10, 320 gram jar, where making homemade can range in cost from $3-5. Now who would have thought that a childhood love and addiction could be so easy to make at home in 15 minutes!!

I hope you enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, they make our day!