Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sweet Potato Stew/Chili

With the weather still being a little chilly I always crave warm meals. When I am come home off the bus from school I just want to wrap myself up in a huge blanket. So lately I have been experimenting with different comfort dishes and healthifying them. I recently tried making a sweet potato chili. I love sweet potatoes and love chili. So when I saw a recipe for this I had to try it, but I did modify it. The finished product reminded me more of a stew than chili, but I still loved it and totally would make it again. It is very healthy and nutrient dense. There is no added fat and minimal salt added. It is also a great vegetarian and vegan friendly recipe!

Sweet Potato Stew/Chili

3 Sweet Potatoes (20 oz) peeled and chopped
2 onions chopped
1 pepper (any colour- I used red) chopped
1 zucchini chopped
1 can of bean of choice (I used white kidney beans)
1 (20 oz) can of tomatoes
3 tbsp of tomato sauce (Can omit if needed)
1-2 cups of water
1 tsp of cummin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp of salt

Place all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft or around 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. Check frequently and stir.

It is a fairly easy recipe once everything is prepped and it tastes great the next day because the flavours have time to meld together. 


I hope you have a Truly Fabulous Tuesday.  Last but not least here is the Quote of the Day!


 Photobucket

1 comment:

Leave us a comment, they make our day!